Monday, February 8, 2010

Come now - let us read together

I've had Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis, gathering dust for probably almost a decade. My copy is old; like a kid in a candy store (to use the phrase incorrectly), I asked for it sheepishly on the outside and hopefully on the inside when we were visiting some friends at their lake house, where it also sat and gathered dust.

I've heard good things about it. I've seen many good quotes from the book on many friends' Facebook profiles. I've read some good selections the three times I've picked it up to start reading it.

I think that I am maybe the only Christian who hasn't read it. So here it goes. But I need accountability. That's where you come in. Since Oprah probably won't feature this one soon in her Book Club, I'll start my own, sad, miniscule version of one. If you'd care to join me, you have a week to procure a copy (click here or on the title of this post for an online version; I like paper). I'll start reading it next Monday (I'll put up here in a few days what I plan to read when). Then on Sunday, I'll post my thoughts on the selection for the week, where you can also add your thoughts, and we can discuss until the next week.

How does that sound? Think you can join me? This is for everyone - newbies to the book or those who have read it a thousand times.

For those who have read it before, what stands out to you about the book - good and bad? Were you challenged by anything? What didn't you agree with and why? Would you approach anything covered in the book differently? What was spot on? What's your favorite color? Blood type?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this?